How to move WordPress website to new domain in 10 minutes.
Moving a whole Worpdress website from point A to point B? This can be done in 10 minutes, no broken urls! Everything will work perfectly at once. Step by step on how to move WordPress website to new domain in only 10 minutes:
How to move WordPress website to new domain in 10 minutes
- First of all you should always back up your files in case of unwanted happenings. Basic knowledge about WordPress installation and databases are required for this tutorial.
- Install WordPress plugin “duplicator” on your old website and activate the plugin. Duplicator plugin found here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
- Go to Duplicater > Packages and hit the tab “Create new”. A package is basically your whole website compressed. The “Archive” file is your database and all the WordPress files, and the “Installer” file is the php file installing the website on the new location at re-deploy.
- Change the name of the package if you want and click next to start the scan. The scan will give you a good overview on all of your files hopefully passing as “Good”. If not, see if you can correct the warnings before continuing.
- Once scan is OK, Click “Build”. The installer file and the Archive file is now created.
- When package is created, you will have to download the the installer file and the Archive zip file to your computer by clicking the 2 buttons. The installer file is a single php file, and the archives file is a zip with the whole database and all the Worpdress files included. Download and save the two files on to your computor. (no need to unzip the archives)
- Prepare everything on your new website server by adding a new database and a user with all priviliges / rights.
- Log in to your new domain server using an ftp program.
- Move the two files onto your new server in the “www” or “public_html” – folder. Wait untill everything is uploaded. (no need to unzip the archives) Something like this:
- Once the two files are uploaded, go to www.your-new-website.com/installer.php to install everything in the new website location. Start by entering the new database name, user and password, click “Test connection” to check if everything is OK.
- To unzip all WordPress files automatically and start installation, click the “” option and then “Run Deployment”.
- When installation is finished, click “Run Update” to get everything running properly.
- If everything went as planned your entire website should now be moved to the new location, this is the screen you want:
From this last step you have a last chance to hit “start over at step 1” if you want to redo the process. If everything looks OK, enjoy your new website location.
Your worpdress login and usernames will be exactly the same as in the old website.